At sometime before 1787 the Earl of Uxbridge and the Burton Boat Company built a canal branch upwards from the River Trent at Burton to a basin at Bond End. The canal ran past Peel's Bond End Mill's and followed the line of today's existing road at the Burton side of Saint Peters bridge, continuing to Moor St. and crossed Uxbridge St. & Angelsey Road. The canal ran up to approximately 40 yards from the Trent & Mersey Canal at Shobnall. In August 1787 the Burton Boat Company asked the Trent & Mersey Canal Company to extend their wide boat waterway onwards from Horninglow to Shobnall and build a barge connection through to the Bond End Canal. The Trent & Mersey Canal Company refused mainly on the grounds that the Trent was 3'9" lower that the Trent & Mersey Canal which meant that if a connection was made, the Trent and Mersey Company would loose water from their canal every time a boat navigated the Bond End Canal
There was a lot of heated dispute over several years, but in December 1793 a meeting was held between Trent & Mersey Canal Company and the Burton Boat Company and it was agreed that a Shobnall connection with one stop lock would be built. The Burton Boat Company also put another lock further down the Bond End Canal with a fall of 3'9" and the level of the canal from this lock to Shobnall was raised to that of the Trent and Mersey Canal to save water. There was a Midland Railway shipment siding built in 1847 at the Shobnall End of the Bond End Canal, this was reported as disused by 1872 with the demise of the transport of goods on the rivers and canals of England. Eventually the Bond End Canal was filled in and was used as a branch line of the railway until the system of moving goods around Burton changed yet again and moved onto the roads leaving this narrow strip of land from Shobnall to the River Trent at bond end derelict. For many years it was used as a walkway and cycle track by Burtonians until it was redeveloped onwards from 1985 to the present road system we have today.
All that remains of the Bond End Canal today is Bridge No.1 and the Basin at Shobnall which is currently owned by Jannel Cruisers. For a more in depth history of the Bond End Canal please visit Jannel Cruisers History section written and researched by Harry Hines.
© Burton2000.co.uk. 2000-2012